Machrie Post Office, Isle of Arran

This watercolour was presented by the artist to Dumfries historian, James Urquhart.  The inscription on the reverse of the image reads:   To our good friend Jimmie Urquhart  From  The JEFFS Dec 12th 1938   This signed image shows the gable end of a shop with noticeboards propped up against the wall.  There is a road to the right with the sea beyond and hills in distance.  It was mounted and framed in a plain dark wooden frame by Jeffs.        Jeffs was the assistant curator of Dumfries Burgh Museum at the time of his marriage to Marianne. She was the manageress of the Lyceum cinema cafe in Dumfries. The Jeffs were married on 18th February 1938 and their witnesses were artists E A Taylor and his wife Jessie M King. They spent a holiday on Arran the same year.   In November 1938, Mr and Mrs Jeffs held an exhibition of their art and craftwok at their Yellow Door Studio, 41 English Street, Dumfries. Exhibits included thirty to forty paintings in oil and watercolour, mainly of local scenes or Arran studies.
Object no :
Collection :
Creator :
James G Jeffs (1904 - 1975)
Place of Production :
Dimensions :
length 274 mm, width 366 mm
Materials :
watercolour on paper
Location :
Related site :
Accession number :
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website