Show Navigation

Home Life

Death & Mourning

Mort Cloth

Period:
19th Century
Description:
Used to drape coffins at village funerals. The dead had to be carried some 8 miles over the hills to Sanquhar. The origin of the cloth is described in Brown's 'History of Sanquhar', where it is recorded that subsequent to a refusal by the Sanquhar authorities to lend a mort-cloth to Wanlockhead, as had been the custom, an appeal was made successively to Presbytery & General Assembly which ruled that Wanlockhead be given a church and therefore a mort-cloth in its own right. The church closed and was purchased by WMT in 1986.
Materials/Media:
Heavy woven cover with cloth lining and all round fringe of tassel
Dimensions:
Length 2700mm x 1500mm
Source:
Museum of Lead Mining
Accession number:
WADLM: E1/220
Digital Number:
WHTX001n
Creation Date:
1861
Copyright:
Wanlockhead Museum Trust