Amisfield Tower, from The Antiquities of Dumfries and its Neighbourhood Collected and Drawn by John McCormick

Amisfield Tower was built around 1600 by the Anglo-Norman Charteris family, who owned the surrounding estates from the 12th century.  It is a striking example of an old keep; with many turrets, corbelled gables, dormers and cap-house, on top of a 70 foot square tower.  The Tower later passed to the Dalziel family and a victorian mansion lies adjacent.  The Tower remains in use as a private residence.   This page of the sketchbook shows Amisfield Tower.  These sketches of various buildings in and around Dumfries were mainly compiled through McCormick's own study of the area and by speaking to those who remembered the buildings, as the majority of them were no longer in existence or in a ruinous state by McCormick's time.  The drawings are all in pencil with extensive written notes.   Inscription:   "Amsfield Tower.  Last repairs 1600.  Built by Sir Thomas De Longville or Chartres.  Lands granted by King Robert 1327 to him and the Wardenship of the West Marches Cha" Melrose the Defences for the Nether ward of Nithsdale were 1 Dalswinton, 2 Amsfield, 3 Torthorwald, 4 St Rochs Tower Mouswald - Dependen on the Castle of Dumfries as a Centre."
Object no :
Collection :
Creator :
John McCormick
Place of Production :
Dimensions :
length 33mm, width 40.5mm
Materials :
pencil, paper
Location :
Related site :
Accession number :
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website