Old Cumnock Church of Scotland Communion Token

Metal tokens allowing holders to attend Communion in the Church of Scotland were issued by individual churches.  The oldest known was found at Carsphairn and is dated 1648.  In the 18th & 19th Centuries the tokens were stamped with the name of the church and sometimes the date and the minister's initials, earlier tokens however only showed the initial of the church and a letter, either K for Kirk or P for Parish.  The Free Church of Scotland and other independent churches introduced stock tokens by the mid 19th century.  By this time though the main church of Scotland had began using cards as a cheaper alternative. The communion service was only held once or twice a year and tokens were issued to people who the minister thought were worthy of them.  To get a token people had to prove that they both knew and practised the general principles and values of their church.
Object no :
EATO006a; EATO006b
Collection :
Creator :
NA
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
NA
Materials :
NA
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
NA
Copyright :
East Ayrshire Council
You must enable javascript to view this website