Baptismal bowl, St George’s Free Church of Scotland, 1843

  At the Disruption in 1843, Dr John MacKenzie, minister of St Mary's Church, left the Church of Scotland with part of his congregation and founded a Free Church congregation.   A new church building was designed in 1844 by William McGowan and built on George Street, Dumfries.  It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1893 by James Halliday who added the Italianate red sandstone front.   In 1900 under minister Charles McNeill, the congregation joined the new United Free Church with the United Presbyterian Church.   In 1929, part of the United Free Church, including St George's, joined the main Church of Scotland.    The baptismal basin is a development of the larger stone fonts which appear from early mediaeval times.  Basins could be pewter or silver and were either freestanding or placed in a ring attached to the pulpit.  Basins could also be placed inside a large stone font as a liner.
Object no :
NA
Collection :
Creator :
NA
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
NA
Materials :
NA
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
DUMFM:2010.43.2
Copyright :
NA
You must enable javascript to view this website