Boyd Arms, the Palace, Dean Castle

The Boyd Coat of Arms carved in stone is positioned above the East door of the Palace at Dean Castle.   This weathered sandstone carving is now in poor shape but a perfect copy can be found inside the building's banqueting hall.    It dates to 1642 and carried the Boyd motto 'Confido' as well as the coat-of-arms.  The inscription read, "James Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock, Dame Katherine Crayke his Lady".     This was added to the building, almost 100 years after the castle had been restored to the Boyds by Mary Queen of Scots, by the 9th Lord Boyd, James who was an strong supporter of Charles the First and laid the groundwork for his son to be made an Earl on the Restoration of Charles II.  He also founded a school in his native Kilmarnock.
Object no :
Collection :
Creator :
Place of Production :
Dimensions :
Materials :
blonde sandstone
Location :
Related site :
Accession number :
Copyright :
East Ayrshire Council

More objects in this Collection

You must enable javascript to view this website