Margaret's Tomb, from The Antiquities of Dumfries and its Neighbourhood Collected and Drawn by John McCormick

This page of the sketchbook shows Princess Margaret's Tomb, at Lincluden Abbey.  Founded as a Benedictine nunnery around 1160, by Uchtred, son of Fergus, Lord of Galloway, Lincluden Abbey stands close to the confluence of the rivers Nith and Cluden.  Extensive building work took place during the 1400s, part of the renovation was to accommodate the spectacular tomb of Princess Margaret in a rebuilt choir after her death in 1450.  She had been daughter of King Robert III and widow of the 4th Earl of Douglas.   These sketches of various buildings in and around Dumfries were mainly compiled through McCormicks own study of the area and by speaking to those who remembered the buildings, as the majority of them were no longer in existence or in a ruinous state by McCormicks time.  The drawings are all in pencil with extensive written notes.
Object no :
Collection :
Creator :
John McCormick
Place of Production :
Dimensions :
length 198mm, width 245mm
Materials :
pencil, paper
Location :
Related site :
Accession number :
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website