Terregles Church, from The Antiquities of Dumfries and its Neighbourhood Collected and Drawn by John McCormick

This page of the sketchbook shows Terregles Church, north of Dumfries.    These sketches of various buildings in and around Dumfries were mainly compiled through McCormick's own study of the area and by speaking to those who remembered the buildings, as the majority of them were no longer in existence or in a ruinous state by McCormick's time.  The drawings are all in pencil with extensive written notes.   Inscription:   "Terregles Church.  Built and Dedicated to St Bride by Sir Ethilbert Herries, 1292 it contains the Ancient Burial Vault of the House of Herries.  Now the Burial place of the Maxwells of Nithsdale, the Chancel onely remains Containen the Provosts chair of Lincluden Abbey."
Object no :
DMFA016n
Collection :
Creator :
John McCormick
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
length 33mm, width 40.5mm
Materials :
pencil, paper
Location :
NA
Related site :
You must enable javascript to view this website