Show Navigation

Photography

Nicolson's Wigtownshire Photographs

Newton Stewart

Description:
Dashwood Square, looking north towards the Path Brae, in the pre-motor car era.  The combined lamp standard and fountain of cast iron survived until the late 1940s, when it was removed to improve the flow of traffic.  The Dundee Equitable shop, to the left of the fountain, is still in Newton Stewart but in different premises.  It is doubtful  if the school boots advertised in the window would find many buyers today.  The grocer's shop on the extreme left, owned here by A McMurray, had passed by the 1930s to S P Thorburn, succeeded by A Costley.  The next owner, in the mid-1940s, was Ronald Pickup, who later transferred his business to Queen Street close to McCreadie's garage, where he also opened the Bide-a-Wee-Cafe, which boasted a real waterfall as part of a mural depicting the Galloway countryside.
Place of Production:
Wigtown
Materials/Media:
glass plate
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 1994.28.42
Digital Number:
SRPG011n
Creation Date:
1905-10
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council