Lincluden Abbey, from The Antiquities of Dumfries and its Neighbourhood Collected and Drawn by John McCormick

This page of the sketchbook shows Lincluden Abbey.  Founded as a Benedictine nunnery around 1160, by Uchtred, son of Fergus, Lord of Galloway, this example of mediaeval architecture stands close to the confluence of the rivers Nith and Cluden.  Extensive building work took place during the 1400s, part of the renovation was to accommodate the spectacular tomb of Princess Margaret in a rebuilt choir after her death in 1450.  She had been daughter of King Robert III and widow of the 4th Earl of Douglas.  The Reformation of 1560 brought further change to the Abbey, when Lincluden was attacked and badly damaged by Protestant reformers.  After passing through various hands the Abbey was abandoned by 1700, and then used as a quarry until 1882 when the laird stepped in to consolidate and tidy up the ruins.  The Abbey is now looked after by Historic Scotland.   These sketches of various buildings in and around Dumfries were mainly compiled through McCormick's own study of the area and by speaking to those who remembered the buildings, as the majority of them were no longer in existence or in a ruinous state by McCormick's time. The drawings are all in pencil with extensive written notes.
Object no :
Collection :
Creator :
John McCormick
Place of Production :
Dimensions :
length 198mm, width 243mm
Materials :
pencil, paper
Location :
Related site :
Accession number :
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website