Grave marker

Large slab of pink sandstone.   This grave marker was found at Hoddom Collegiate Churchyard, and was formerly on the terrace at Hoddom Castle.  Little is known about the important religious settlement at Hoddom.  Few mediaeval buildings survive, even as ruins, and although documents exist from the 12th century onwards, they are often incomplete.  Kentigern, later St Mungo, may have been bishop at Hoddom in the late AD 500s before moving on to Glasgow.   Aerial photographs and archaeological excavations show several stone workshops that date from the 7th and 8th centuries onward.  These buildings would have been used for corn drying, baking, meat curing and metal working by a large religious community. There is also evidence of a building used for baptisms, and of a church.
Object no :
DMMO012n
Collection :
Creator :
NA
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
height 1590mm, width 385mm, depth 190mm
Materials :
stone, sedimentary rock, sandstone
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
DUMFM:1951.36.7
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website