National Coal Board Coat-of-Arms from Killoch Colliery

This cast iron coat of arms came from the entrance to Killoch Colliery.  Killoch was situated between Ochiltree and Coylton.  Sinking of the twin shafts for this 'super pit' began in December 1952 and when complete Killoch was the most modern colliery in Ayrshire with a well designed surface layout and other up-to-date features.  It was designed to deal with an annual output of 700,000 tons and at peak production employed 2100 men.  It was planned to have a life of 50 years but closed after 36. The National Coal Board's motto inscirbed on the scroll at the bottom of the coat-of-arms is "e tenebris lux", which means 'out of darkness, light'.
Object no :
EAMI026n
Collection :
Creator :
NA
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
W 1000mm
Materials :
cast metal mounted on plywood
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
CUMDM: B/22
Copyright :
East Ayrshire Council
You must enable javascript to view this website