Beer bottle, Bryson, Midsteeple, Dumfries

Joseph Priestly discovered how to make carbonised mineral water in 1772. It was prepared by dissolving carbon dioxide in water and was originally regarded as having medicinal properties. By 1860, it had become easier to manufacture and was being flavoured with fruit syrups, lemons and limes. It had lost its medicinal associations and was being retailed by grocers and wine and spirit merchants, as well as chemists.   At first the new drink was stored in earthenware bottles, but the gas escaped through the skin and the drink became flat.   Manufacturers switched to glass bottles. However, corks were still used to seal the carbonised mineral water drinks, and if they were allowed to dry out they tended to loosen which allowed the gas to escape. If the bottles were stored on their side, this was less likely to happen, but shopkeepers were reluctant to store them this way.   This beer bottle sold from Bryson, Midsteeple, Dumfries, had a cork stopper.
Object no :
DMDM006n
Collection :
Creator :
NA
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
(bottle) height 250mm, diameter (base) 52mm; (stopper) length 54mm
Materials :
glass, cork, white metal
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
DUMFM:0207.100
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website