Show Navigation

Photography

Photo technology

'Midg' postcard camera

Period:
20th Century
Description:

This camera was owned and used by A M Nicolson, the Wigtown chemist.  Nicolson was also an active commercial photographer and had a photographic studio behind his shop on High Street.  He produced a number of local views for sale as postcards.

 

The 'Midg' was a "falling plate" camera.  Glass plates were loaded in the back and a new plate was brought forward on a spring mechanism each time the shutter was depressed.  These cameras were in use from 1905 to around 1920.

Dimensions:
215mm x 275mm
Source:
Wigtown County Buildings
Accession number:
WIWMS 1994.28.137
Digital Number:
WITL003a-d
Creation Date:
around 1905
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture