Wanlockhead Football Team

Although football became popular in Scotland in the 1870s, it was not until the turn of the century that there were participating teams in Wanlockhead. The pitch was laid down by the villagers themselves and a pavilion was built in later years. The team called itself ‘The Wanlock Lads’ and games were keenly contested against Leadhills, Sanquhar and various other local clubs. In 1932, with the mining company starting to pay off its workers, good players left the Village. The club, struggling to find players called it a day in 1939 when war broke out.   The ‘Wanlockhead Lads’ had two comebacks. The first, in 1952, lasted for three seasons. The second was in 1977 when it joined the Dumfries and District League. In that year goalkeeper James Harvey won the ‘Player of the Year Trophy’.
Object no :
WHPG009n
Collection :
Creator :
NA
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
NA
Materials :
paper
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
NA
Copyright :
Wanlockhead Museum Trust
You must enable javascript to view this website