Commemorative beaker, 1911

The nineteenth and twentieth centuries were an important time for the development of Maxwelltown. Originally called Brigend, the area had a reputation throughout Scotland as a hiding place for criminals.   In 1833, however, Maxwelltown adopted the Police Act which enabled it to raise money to improve the burgh by such things as paving and cleaning the streets and putting up street lighting. These improvements were accompanied by the development of small scale industries such as tanneries, a brewery, iron foundries, weaving shops, a brick and tile works and saw mills. Troqueer and Rosefield Mills were built, new streets were laid out and old lanes were developed with quality housing for the better off.   By 1900 Maxwelltown had grown from a huddle of thatched cottages to one of the biggest burghs in south west Scotland. In the 1920s the town council introduced a radical housing scheme which put the burgh at the forefront of Scottish municipal social welfare.   Commemorative beakers showing the redeveloped burgh of Maxwelltown were manufactured by Doulton and Company, Nile Street, Burslem, Staffordshire.   This beaker was issued to celebrate the Coronation of George V and Mary on 22 June 1911.   One side of this white beaker has two ovals depicting King George and Mary, a crown, flags, and banner motifs. The opposite side shows the Maxwell Family Crest with a stag and holly tree and the motto  'Reviresco', meaning renewed or revived.   The 1911 beaker also shows 'John. H. Nicholson Provost'. John Nicholson was a chemist, and the Provost of Maxwelltown, 1907-1913.
Object no :
DMDM016a, DMDM016b
Collection :
Creator :
John Leitch
Place of Production :
Dimensions :
height 94mm, diameter (rim) 85mm, diameter (base) 56mm
Materials :
ceramic, earthenware
Location :
Related site :
Accession number :
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website