Show Navigation

Working Life

Dumfries Seven Trades

Punchbowl

Period:
19th Century
Description:

This was given to the Seven Trades by the Convenor of Trades, Robert Grainger to commemorate the opening of the Trades Hall in 1806. On the night it was handed over the punchbowl was refilled more than ten times with "good rum punch". It holds 10 gallons.

 

The property of the Seven Trades was auctioned on 8th April 1854 and became separated. The punchbowl sold for £2 while the ladle fetched 15 shillings. Over the past 100 years these objects have been acquired by Dumfries Museum. The ladle was purchased at auction in 1982 and re-joined its bowl after an interval of 127 years.

Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1934.1
Digital Number:
DMTC02a-b
Copyright:
Dumfries and Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture