Show Navigation

Travel

Trams

Ayrshire Corporation Tramways Badge and Die

Period:
20th Century
Description:

Ayr Burgh Act 1899 authorised a municipal tramway system.  It took 7 1/2 months to lay four miles of tram rail from Prestwick to St Leonard's Church. 

The first double decker open top trams opened officially on 26th september 1901.  Eventually the line was continued to Burns Monument in Alloway.  The tramway system was sold off in 1931, with the last run on Hogmanay that year, with the Prestwick Cross car running deliberately slowly to be the last car home to the depot.

Source:
Rozelle House Galleries
Accession number:
2861SAC
Digital Number:
SAAC007n
Copyright:
South Ayrshire Council