Show Navigation

Engineering Firms

Riggs of Crawick Forge

Riggs of Crawick Forge

n the 1770s the development of the coalfield around Sanquhar created a need for shovels and other working gear, and the lessee, Mr Baker saw the need for a local forge. He encouraged John Rigg (1750 - 1833) of Dalston in Cumbria to move his business north. Rigg built Crawick Forge at Crawick Bridge on the very boundary of Kirkconnel and Sanquhar parish. He intended to use water power from the Crawick to drive his tilt hammer, so he made a dam head opposite the village of Crawick Mill, downstream from the existing one which served the corn and woollen mills there.

Read More