Two Bridges, the Old and the New, Dumfries. Photographic Views of Dumfries and Neighbourhood, Kings Arms Hotel

Old and New Bridges over the River Nith at Dumfries.    Dumfries was the first safe crossing point of the Nith above the mudflats of its estuary and this ford was used by pilgrims travelling to the early Christian shrine of St Ninian at Whithorn.  A wooden bridge was built to replace the ford in the 1260s, probably by Lady Devorgilla, the wife of John Balliol, later King of Scotland.  This in turn was replaced in 1432, by the present sandstone bridge which is still used today by pedestrians.  The New Bridge, "Buccleuch Street Bridge", was built in 1790-95, and has been widened several times to accommodate the increasing volume of traffic in the town.   This sepia photograph is from an album presented to the Kings Arms Hotel by local businesses in Dumfries and Maxwelltown.  The businesses placed advertisements in the album.
Object no :
Creator :
A and T Hunter (Stationers, 142 High Street, Dumfries)
Place of Production :
Dimensions :
width 197mm, height 132mm
Materials :
Location :
Related site :
Accession number :
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website