Ticket for the unveiling of Burns Statue, Dumfries

In May 1877 the town council of Dumfries adopted a proposal to erect a statue to Robert Burns, the town's most illustrious inhabitant. A site was chosen in Church Place, at the junction of the High Street, Castle Street and Buccleuch Street and the local historian William McDowall was appointed secretary of a committee formed to progress the project.   The committee approved a model for the statue proposed by the artist Amelia Paton Hill. She had exhibited portrait busts, animal figures and genre groups at the Royal Academy, and all these elements are to be found in her statue of Burns, which is probably her best known work. The statue was carved in Carrara marble by Italian craftsmen working to Amelia Hill's model. It was unveiled by the Earl of Rosebery on 6th April 1882.
Object no :
DMBN023n
Collection :
Creator :
NA
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
114mm x 75mm
Materials :
card
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
DUMFM:0198.198
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website