High Street, Dumfries

This etching is of The High Street, Dumfries, looking from Burn's Statue toward the Midsteeple.   One of the regions foremost painters of her generation, Christian Jane Fergusson was born 14th September 1876 in Dumfries.  After her education at Dumfries Academy, she travelled to France and Berlin, before returning to London to attend the Crystal Palace School of Art.  By 1900 she had enrolled at Glasgow School of Art to study painting under the tutelage of director Fra H Newbery.  She remained there first as student then as a teacher at the School.  In 1908 Christian married David Fergusson, a Dumfries solicitor, with whom she had 3 children.   During the 1920s and early 1930s her work concentrated principally on townscapes and landscapes in Dumfries.  At the same time she was teaching painting at the Benedictine Convent, Maxwelltown.  In 1922, along with fellow artists E A Taylor and Jessie M King, Christian co-founded Dumfries and Galloway Fine Art Society.  The Society's exhibitions were held in the Assembly Rooms, Dumfries.  At this time Christian worked from a studio at 17 Queen Street, Dumfries.
Object no :
DMFA022n
Collection :
Creator :
Chris J Fergusson (1876 - 1957)
Place of Production :
NA
Dimensions :
length 176mm, width 125mm
Materials :
paper
Location :
NA
Related site :
Accession number :
DUMFM:1980.150
Copyright :
Dumfries & Galloway Council
You must enable javascript to view this website