Show Navigation

The Medieval Period (1100AD - 1499AD)

The Medieval Church

Lincluden Abbey, Dumfries. Photographic Views of Dumfries and Neighbourhood, Kings Arms Hotel

Period:
19th Century
Description:

Lincluden Abbey was founded as a Benedictine nunnery around 1160, by Uchtred, son of Fergus, Lord of Galloway. It stands close to the confluence of the rivers Nith and Cluden.  Extensive building work took place during the 1400s, part of the renovation was to accommodate the spectacular tomb of Princess Margaret in a rebuilt choir after her death in 1450.  She was the daughter of King Robert III and widow of the 4th Earl of Douglas.  The Reformation of 1560 brought further change to the Abbey, when Lincluden was attacked and badly damaged by Protestant reformers.  After passing through various hands the Abbey was abandoned by 1700, and then used as a quarry until 1882 when the laird stepped in to consolidate and tidy up the ruins. The Abbey is now looked after by Historic Scotland.

 

These sepia photographs of Lincluden Abbey are from an album presented to the Kings Arms Hotel by local businesses in Dumfries and Maxwelltown.  The businesses placed advertisements in the album.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width 201mm, height 131mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2006.3.3.2; DUMFM:2006.3.3.27
Digital Number:
DMPG043n; DMPG068n
Creation Date:
1 January 1889
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture