Show Navigation

The Medieval Period (1100AD - 1499AD)

The Medieval Church

Grave marker

Period:
Medieval
Description:

Large slab of pink sandstone.

 

This grave marker was found at Hoddom Collegiate Churchyard, and was formerly on the terrace at Hoddom Castle.  Little is known about the important religious settlement at Hoddom.  Few mediaeval buildings survive, even as ruins, and although documents exist from the 12th century onwards, they are often incomplete.  Kentigern, later St Mungo, may have been bishop at Hoddom in the late AD 500s before moving on to Glasgow.

 

Aerial photographs and archaeological excavations show several stone workshops that date from the 7th and 8th centuries onward.  These buildings would have been used for corn drying, baking, meat curing and metal working by a large religious community. There is also evidence of a building used for baptisms, and of a church.

Materials/Media:
stone, sedimentary rock, sandstone
Dimensions:
height 1590mm, width 385mm, depth 190mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1951.36.7
Digital Number:
DMMO012n
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council