Show Navigation

The Medieval Period (1100AD - 1499AD)

Castles

Machlin Castle

Description:

Also called Abbot Hunters Tower, Machlin (Mauchline) Castle dates from around 1450. The tower was originally owned by the Cistercians of Melrose Abbey but the estate passed, in 1606, to Hugh, Lord Loudoun. The tower served as a prison during the Covenanter period and in the 18th century it (and the adjoining house) belonged to Burns' patron, Gavin Hamilton.

 

This representation was drawn by the artist S. Hooper and Engraved by Vivares.

Source:
Dean Castle
Digital Number:
EAPR056n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council