Show Navigation

The Medieval Period (1100AD - 1499AD)

Castles

Caerlaverock Castle, Dumfries. Photographic Views of Dumfries and Neighbourhood, Kings Arms Hotel

Period:
19th Century
Description:

Caerlaverock Castle lies to the south of Dumfries, near the mouth of the River Nith, close to the Solway Firth.  It is a distinctive triangular shape with a broad moat.  Caerlaverock Castle was built up over the years by the Maxwell family, on the foundations of an earlier castle, built in 1220.  Due to its location in the Scottish/ English borders, it was involved in many feuds during the Middle Ages.  The castle switched between Scottish and English occupation several times, until 1603 when after 400 years of sporadic warfare, the union of the crowns offered the promise of peace.  However, wars of religion, doctrine and kingship were to follow, resulting in further damage in the 1640s.  Repairs to the castle were never made.  It is now looked after by Historic Scotland.

 

These sepia photographs are from an album presented to the Kings Arms Hotel by local businesses in Dumfries and Maxwelltown.  The businesses placed advertisements in the album.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width 198mm, height 135mm; width 197mm, height 132mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2006.3.3.23; DUMFM:2006.3.3.28
Digital Number:
DMPG064n; DMPG069n
Creation Date:
1 January 1889
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture