Show Navigation

Rebellion & Enlightenment

Cromwellian Scotland

St.John's Tower

Description:
This tower was one of the later additions to (and all that remains of)  the original kirk of Ayr,  established around 1300 by the knights of St.John. It was in this old church that the nobility of Scotland officially passed the crown to Robert The Bruce at a specially convened parliament.

It lies within the remnants of a fort built in the 17th century by Oliver Cromwell to house his northern garrison. It was from here that Cromwell established himself north of the border.
Place of Production:
Ayr, South Ayrshire
Materials/Media:
glass plate slide
Source:
Dean Castle
Accession number:
GL.R1314
Digital Number:
EAGP211n
Creation Date:
1925
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council