Show Navigation

Empire & Industry

Defending the Empire

Troqueer Volunteer Corps Presentation Cup, 1806

Period:
19th Century
Description:


This Edinburgh hallmarked silver trophy was given by the Troqueer Volunteers to Mrs Maxwell of Kirkconnell, New Abbey in 1806.

The Maxwell family crest, "Spero Meliora" above a winged eagle, is engraved on the back of the trophy.

The inscription on the front reads: " Presented to Mrs Maxwell of Kirkconnell by The Troqueer Volunteers a small tribute for her patriotic liberality and attention to them 1806" 

 

Purchased with the assistance of the National Fund for Acquisitions, administered with government funds by National Museums Scotland.

 

Place of Production:
Edinburgh
Dimensions:
227 mm (height) x 230 mm (width)
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2015.1
Creation Date:
1804


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture