Show Navigation

Empire & Industry

Defending the Empire

Badge of the Ayr & Wigtown Militia

Description:
This is a cap badge worn by an officer in the local militia regiment.

Local volunteer or militia regiments were first raised during the Napoleonic Wars at the end of the 18th century. Many of these regiments were reorganised during the 1860s to meet the threat of invasion from France. In October 1860 the existing Wigtownshire volunteer companies were merged with the Royal Ayrshire Regiment of Militia Rifles to create a new volunteer force covering both counties. This was known as the Galloway Rifles Militia. In 1866 it was renamed the Prince Regent’s Royal Regiment of Ayr and Wigtown Militia. Its commanding officer, with the rank of lieutenant colonel, was the Earl of Galloway.

The regiment had an establishment of 1,000 men and assembled each year for annual training at Ayr Racecourse. The Prince Regent’s regiment became part of the 4th Militia in 1881.

The badge is made from silvered tin plate. It shows a wreath and star topped with a crown. In the centre is a Scottish thistle surrounded by the words ‘Prince Regent’s Royal Ayr and Wigtown Militia’.
Materials/Media:
silvered base metal
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2008.21
Digital Number:
SRAC063n
Creation Date:
1860s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council