Show Navigation

Roman

The Roman Army

Jar fragments

Period:
Roman Period
Description:

Glenlochar Fort

 

Glenlochar near Castle Douglas was central to the Roman army's cperations in Galloway. A series of temporary camps and a fort guarded a crossing over the Dee and controlled the routes north along the Glenkens and west to Loch Ryan and the North Channel. Limited excavations have produced a range of finds typical of small forts in northern Britain.

Materials/Media:
ceramic, coarseware
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1955.101.1=7
Digital Number:
DMPO009n
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council