Show Navigation

Soldiers, Sailors, Rebels & Outlaws

William Boyd the 4th Earl of Kilmarnock

Boyd Armorial Panel

Period:
17th Century
Description:

This carving was removed from the Parish Church of Kilmarnock, the 'Laigh Kirk' around 1750 during building alterations.  It would originally have been displayed on the Boyd family pew.  It is thought that it was made around 1661when the 10th Lord Boyd had the title Earl of Kilmarnock conferred on him by Charles II.

This Coat of Arms was purchased in 1994 with assistance from the National Fund for Acquisitions administered with Government funds by the National Museums of Scotland.

Materials/Media:
carved oak
Source:
The Dick Institute
Digital Number:
EASP006n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council