Show Navigation

Soldiers, Sailors, Rebels & Outlaws

The Lockharts

The Borland Water and Dean Castle

Description:
This shows the view of Dean Castle which would have been seen from about 1735 (when it fell into ruin after a fire) until the beginning of the 20th century when it was restored.  The hill to the castle's right was the probable site of the original Kilmarnock Castle, which was probably mostly constructed of wood initially and surrounded by an outer courtyard or bailey.  This earlier castle was probably built by the Lockhart or Soulis families but this land was owned by John Balliol prior to it being granted to the Boyds by Robert the Bruce in 1315.
Place of Production:
Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
Materials/Media:
glass plate slide
Source:
Dean Castle
Accession number:
GL.R1244
Digital Number:
EAGP209n
Creation Date:
c.1890
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council