Show Navigation

Collectors & Explorers

The 8th Lord Howard de Walden

Sandstone blocks being hewn and lifted from Dean Quarry.

Description:

These particular blocks of  Dean Quarry 'blonde' sandstone were perhaps amongst the last to be cut from the quarry.  They were used by the 8th Lord Howard de Walden whilst restoring Dean Castle itself.  These newer blocks were of inferior quality than the originals and have started eroding much more quickly, so much so that many restored parts of the castle look more worn than parts of it which exist from the 14th and 15th centuries!  This proved that most of the good stone from the site had been used up and the quarry was soon closed down for good.

 

The De Waldens filled in most of the quarry after the Castle was restored and what is left is now filled with water and is used as a duck pond within Dean Castle Country Park.  The stone wall of the Quarry is still noticible though at the back of the pond.

Place of Production:
Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
Materials/Media:
photograph
Source:
The Dick Institute
Accession number:
KIMMG:1983/41/1
Digital Number:
EAPG296n
Creation Date:
1908 - 1935
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council