Show Navigation

Collectors & Explorers

The 8th Lord Howard de Walden

Flintlock Rifled Carbine

Description:

The flintlock was a much cheaper mechanism to make than the wheellock and was simpler to maintain. A piece of specially shaped flint was held in the jaws of a spring loaded cock. The priming powder was placed in a pan with a pivoted cover, the rear part of which projected vertically to form a striking surface for the flint. When the trigger was pulled, the cock was released and pivoted forward forcibly, causing the flint to strike the vertical part of the pan-cover knocking it open and at the same time striking a shower of sparks into the powder. The discharge of the priming powder passed through the vent into the barrel and fired the main charge.

 

The normal method of loading a rifle at this date was to hammer the lead ball down the barrel from the muzzle against the grip of the rifling. This tended to distort the ball causing it to fly less straight. In the case of this gun, the barrel can be unscrewed allowing the ball to be placed directly into the breech, thus also speeding up the loading process.

 

This particular gun, which was probably designed for shooting deer, could be used as a pistol or, with the stock extended, as a carbine. The maker, Richard Hewes, was a locksmith, gunmaker and possibly a clockmaker, active in the small market town of Wooton Basset in Wiltshire, from about 1618 until his death in 1677. Although nothing is known about where he trained, his workmanship is of very high quality. The rifle is highly decorated with foliage and other ornament and there is a signature engraved on the lockplate, the signature reads "R. Hewes of Wootton Bassett".

Place of Production:
Wootten Bassett, Wiltshire
Materials/Media:
walnut and steel
Dimensions:
L 961mm
Source:
The Dick Institute
Accession number:
MA/M21
Digital Number:
EAAM039n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture