Show Navigation

Collectors & Explorers

The 8th Lord Howard de Walden

Dean Quarry

Description:
These postcards show the water filled quarry on the Dean Estate in Kilmarnock.  The blonde sandstone stone used for many of the impressive buildings around the area came from here, including for Dean Castle itself.  The Quarry was mostly filled in during the improvements to the estate and castle made by the eigth Lord Howard de Walden  around 1930, but the impressive size of the 'hole in the ground' is still apparent.
Place of Production:
Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
Materials/Media:
card
Source:
Dean Castle
Accession number:
kimmg:1994/33/1
Digital Number:
EAPG259n, EAPG265n
Creation Date:
1906
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture