Show Navigation

Collectors & Explorers

R G S Anderson

Axe-hammer, Culmore, Stoneykirk

Period:
Bronze Age
Description:

A complete axe-hammer made on a cobble of local sandstone.  This object is part of the Anderson Collection.

 

Axe-hammers were in use between 2000Bc and 1500BC.  As the name suggests they combine an axe-like blade with a hammer-shaped end or butt.  They were mounted on a wooden handle which fitted into the hole in the centre of the tool.  No one really knows what axe-hammers were used for.  They may have been woodworking wedges, simple plough shares, weapons or symbols of power and prestige.  Large numbers of axe-hammers have been found in Dumfries and Galloway and there are particular concentrations in Nithsdale and the Wigtownshire Machars.

Place of Discovery:
Culmore, Stoneykirk
Materials/Media:
Sandstone (Greywacke)
Dimensions:
Length: 280mm; Width: 113mm; Shaft-hole diameter: 52mm
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 1945.01
Digital Number:
SMAH 013
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council
References:
Roe, F. 1967 ‘The Battle-Axes, Mace-Heads and Axe-Hammers from South-West Scotland’, Trans. Dumfriesshire & Galloway Natural History & Antiquarian Society, Vol. XLIV, p 57-80.