Show Navigation

Collectors & Explorers

Dr Thomas Boyle Grierson

Horse Harness Ring, Tinwald

Period:
Bronze Age
Description:

A large circular horse harness ring with oval cross section from the middle Bronze Age. From the collections of Dr Grierson, this object was recorded as having been found near an ancient encampment believed to be Roman in the parish of Tinwald, Dumfriesshire.  It was presented by a Mr John Halliday from Bar Cottage, Tinwald on the 19th of June 1867. 

Place of Discovery:
Tinwald
Materials/Media:
Metal
Dimensions:
external diameter: 60 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
1965.676
Digital Number:
RPD0080
References:
ANDERSON, Joseph and BLACK, George F - "Reports on local Museums in Scotland", PSAS, Volume 22, p376, 1887-1888 COLES, John - "Bronze Age Metalwork in Dumfries and Galloway", TDGNHAS, 3rd series, Volume 42, p61-98, 1965 TRUCKELL, A E - "The Grierson Collection, Thornhill, and its Dispersal", TDGNHAS, 3rd series, Volume 43, p65-72, 1966


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture