Show Navigation

Burns

Burnsiana

House in which the poet Burns died 21st July 1796

Period:
19th Century
Description:

A pen and ink drawing by William Leighton Leitch of Robert Burns' last home in Dumfries.

 

It was in this ordinary sandstone house in a quiet back street of Dumfries that Robert Burns spent the last three years of his life. The family moved into the house in May 1793. The house had a parlour, kitchen, two bedrooms and even a small study where Burns could write. It was well furnished with a carpet and a long case clock in the parlour.

 

Robert Burns died in the bedroom of this house in 1796 but his widow, Jean Armour Burns continued to live in the house until her own death in 1834. The house was purchased in 1851 by their son, Colonel William Nicol Burns and throughout the 19th Century it became a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from around the world.

 

This drawing was made in the late 1820s by William Leighton Leitch who was at that time working for Andrew Smith of Mauchline. Smith had founded a small company producing snuff boxes and other small wooden items, or treen, decorated by Scottish scenes. He commissioned Leitch to make drawings of well known landmarks for this purpose. Leitch later went on to become a tutor in drawing to Queen Victoria and the Royal family.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 316 mm, length: 227 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0198.499
Digital Number:
DMBN255n
Creation Date:
c 1830
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council