Show Navigation

Burns

Burnsiana

Burns House, Dumfries

Period:
20th Century
Description:

A monochrome photographic print of the house in Burns Street, prior to its restoration in 1935.

 

It was in this ordinary sandstone house in a quiet back street of Dumfries that Robert Burns spent the last three years of his life. The family moved into the house in May 1793. The house had a parlour, kitchen, two bedrooms and even a small study where Burns could write. It was well furnished with a carpet and long case clock in the parlour.

 

Robert Burns died here on 21 July 1796, although his wife, Jean Armour Burns continued to live in the house until her own death in 1834. The house was purchased in 1851 by their  son, Colonel  William Nicol Burns and throughout the 19th Century it became a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from  around the world.

 

At the time this photograph was taken a caretaker occupied the house, apart from the room in which the poet had died, which was set out as an exhibition of Burns relics. The house was restored in 1935 and opened as a museum. It still retains much of its eighteenth century character.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 279 mm, length: 228 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
Photograph, PEOPLE, Robert Burns / 9
Digital Number:
DMBN253n
Creation Date:
c 1920
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council