Show Navigation

Working Life

Blacksmithing

Inside Caerlaverock Close smithy

Description:

 

Forge and bellows in Caerlaverock Close smithy, High Street, Dumfries. Dr Werner Kissling, 1977.

 

These two photographs show the forge with two sets of bellows in Caerlaverock Close smithy before it was demolished. The photographs were taken by Dr Kissling to show the bellows in their original location.

 

The bellows were later dismantled by museum staff David Lockwood and Elaine Kennedy, with the help of the blacksmith Mr Johnstone, and taken to Dumfries Museum.

 

The bellows are made of iron, wood, and leather. They were used to blow air onto the fire to increase the temperature. The metal pipe which directs the air into the forge is called a tuyere or blast pipe.

 

Dr Werner Kissling (1895-1988) was a German photographer and ethnographer who spent most of his life documenting Scottish crafts, architecture, and agricultural practices. He was associated with Dumfries Museum from the mid-1950s until his death in 1988.

Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
PP/KISSLING COLLECTION, blacksmithing/20 and 24
Digital Number:
DMPG363n and DMPG364n
Creation Date:
1977
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture