Show Navigation

Home Life

Religion

Tea cup, Free South Church, Dumfries

Description:

The Church of Scotland had always claimed independence from the state where religious affairs were concerned. During the 1700s, the right of a wealthy supporter to install a minister of his or her choosing in a parish became an issue.

 

In 1843 more than 450 ministers left the Church of Scotland General Assembly and formed the Free Church of Scotland. This had huge implications because they forfeited their incomes, homes and churches. However, with great energy and enthusiasm they organised and raised enough money to establish a new national church.

 

In 1900 the vast majority of the Free Church of Scotland joined with the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland to form the United Free Church of Scotland, which re-united with the Church of Scotland in 1929.

 

The Free South Church in Dumfries was near the junction between Nith Place and Shakespeare Street, looking up the High Street. It was built in 1861 and demolished in 1995.

 

This small cream tea cup has the same black transfer print on both sides depicting the Free South Church building in Dumfries, on a slope with a bell tower and a rose window.

Materials/Media:
ceramic, earthenware
Dimensions:
height 68mm, diameter (rim) 80mm, diameter (base) 47mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1976.9.4
Digital Number:
DMDM021n
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council