Show Navigation

Home Life

Religion

Keys, South Free Church of Scotland, Nith Place, Dumfries, c1865

Description:

The South Free Church was built to plans by local architect James Barbour (1834 - 1912), also a noted engineer and historian.  It stood on Nith Place, at the foot of the High Street.  The church was merged with the Townhead United Presbyterian church.  The original Townhead church building, also designed by James Barbour in 1867 still stands on the corner of Academy Street and Lover's Walk.  The merged South and Townhead congregations joined with St Michael's Church of Scotland in 1983.  When the building was demolished in 1995 these keys, one for the church door and one for the vestry door were donated to the museum, while the time capsule discovered by the builders during demolition was reburied.



Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1997.47.3=4