Show Navigation

Home Life

Religion

Communion Token - Maxwelltown, 1844

Description:

Maxwelltown - Free Church of Scotland, 1844

Formed at the Disruption in 1843, the first meeting place of the congregation was a barnyard on Nithside Avenue. The present church on Laurieknowe was built in 1865. In 1900 the Free Church joined with the United Presbyterian Church to form Maxwelltown United Free Church. In 1929 they joined with the Church of Scotland and became Maxwelltown West Church of Scotland.

Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1995.36.3
Digital Number:
DMTK028a-b
Copyright:
Dumfries and Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture