Show Navigation

Home Life

Education

Smith's Institution Medal

Period:
19th Century
Description:

Awarded to Master Robert Climmie in 1870 for General Excellence.


Smith's Institution was a school set up in Ayr Poorhouse in 1825 following a bequest of £2,000 from Captain John Smith, a merchant seaman,  to provide schooling to children who could not afford to pay fees required by other schools.  In 1872 Smith's Institution became the responsibility of the Ayr Burgh School Board, and moved in 1884 to new premises in Holmston Road.  In 1930 its name was changed to Holmston School.  Holmston Primary School continues in the same building today.

Materials/Media:
silver
Source:
Rozelle House Galleries
Accession number:
AYRRH:2005.0013
Digital Number:
SAMD008a; SAMD008b
Copyright:
South Ayrshire Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture