Show Navigation

Home Life

Education

Postcard of The Technical College, Kilmarnock

Description:

Postcard of The Technical College, Kilmarnock. Postcards were a far more common method of communication then than now, with people from Glasgow, for instance, sending postcards home to show that they had arrived safely in far off and exotic destinations such as Kilmarnock or Ayr! In the late 19th and early twentieth centuries, it was rare for people to own cameras and so stationers up and down the country sold postcards of everything from local landmarks, small villages, and industrial town.

 

The Technical College was part of the Kilmarnock Academy campus that opened in 1910, around 35 years after the original Kilmarnock Academy was built. It was situated across from The Dick Institute on Dick Road/Elmbank Drive, not far from the Academy on Braeside St.

Source:
Dean Castle
Digital Number:
RI_DC_0001672
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council