Show Navigation

Government

The Royal Burgh of Dumfries

Whitesands from Buccleuch Street Bridge

Period:
19th Century
Description:

The Whitesands from Buccleuch Street Bridge, a pencil drawing by Joseph Watson, 1852.  Buccleuch Street Bridge was completed in 1794. The circular building at the end of the bridge was a booth where tolls for crossing the bridge were collected. This also shows the wheeled barrow of a water vendor. Water was taken directly from the river and sold to the townspeople.

Place of Production:
Dumfries
Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
L 261mm, W 380mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1936.92.17
Digital Number:
DMFA085n
Creation Date:
1852
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council