Show Navigation

Government

The Royal Burgh of Dumfries

The Rainbow Stairs, Dumfries

Period:
19th Century
Description:

The Burgh Tolbooth was originally built in the 15th century, and substantially rebuilt in 1718 as a council chamber. This was where the town council held its meetings. It was approached by a flight of stairs over a small prison for people awaiting trial. The Council moved out in 1832 and the building became the Rainbow Tavern. The Tolbooth was demolished in the 1930's.

 

John Kidd Maxton was born in Perth in 1878 and trained at the Glasgow School of Art. As well as painting "freestyle" landscapes, he was known for interior design and stained-glass windows. He later moved to Edinburgh, where he died in 1942.

Materials/Media:
watercolour on paper
Dimensions:
L 364mm, W 265mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2007.30
Digital Number:
DMFA086a
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council