Show Navigation

Government

The Royal Burgh of Dumfries

Photograph of Dumfries Tolbooth

Period:
20th Century
Description:
The Burgh Tolbooth was originally built in the 15th century, and substantially rebuilt in 1718 as a council chamber.  This was where the town council held its meetings.  It was approached by a flight of stairs over a small prison for people awaiting trial.  The Council moved out in 1832 and the building became the Rainbow Tavern.  The Tolbooth was demolished in the 1930's.
Materials/Media:
paper
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
Dumfries Streets /117
Digital Number:
DMPG001a
Creation Date:
c 1930
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council