Show Navigation

Government

The Royal Burgh of Dumfries

Dumfries Town Bell (The Carliel Bell)

Description:

This bell was given to the town of Dumfries by William Carliel, Lord of Torthorwald, when he presented it to St Michaels Church. It was then moved to the Tolbooth, over the rainbow stair, before being moved into the parapet of the Midsteeple in 1830. It remained there until around 1872.

 

The bell was rung to tell people when the court was sitting, summon them to church or to warn them of danger.  It is the oldest bell bearing a date in Scotland.

Materials/Media:
metal
Dimensions:
height 470mm, diameter 410mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1936.27
Digital Number:
DMMS019n
Creation Date:
1443
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council