Show Navigation

Government

The Royal Burgh of Dumfries

Burgess Casket of Miss Jessie McKie (1823 - 1907)

Period:
19th Century
Description:

Jessie McKie gave money to Dumfries town council to help widen Buccleuch Street in 1893, and to build the public baths and wash-house on the Greensands.  She also donated land in Catherine Street for the building of the Ewart Library.  She is the only woman ever to be presented with the Freedom of the Burgh.

Materials/Media:
silver
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0197.1182
Digital Number:
DMSW118a-k
Creation Date:
Presented 24 August 1897
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture